1998-09-08 - Cypher Freedom Fighters

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Message Hash: ccbe3535177923dec1389e4ca6cdcdb4efc08e9bea1725962bd51bfe5a256dff
Message ID: <v03130307b21b4f0b3a10@[209.66.100.138]>
Reply To: <2C396693FBDED111AEF60000F84104A721BFA5@indyexch_fddi.indy.tce.com>
UTC Datetime: 1998-09-08 21:35:36 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 05:35:36 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 05:35:36 +0800
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Subject: Cypher Freedom Fighters

(I've changed the thread title to something simple, replacing the "RE:
Zooko on JYA, cpunks, and surveillance (was: Re: Can't tell the kooks
without a scorecard? Re: Monkey Wrenching the Echelon Engine)" title.)

At 11:56 AM -0700 9/8/98, Fisher Mark wrote:
>Zane Lewkowicz writes:
>>As far as i can tell, only people who
>>threaten feds with physical danger are getting busted.
>>Threatening feds with the possibility of a future society in
>>which their roles are obviated apparently doesn't work.
>
>This matches what I've seen.  Mr. Bell made the big mistake of directly
>attacking the IRS (the mercaptan [sp?] attack).  I've had some dealings with
>local government people on real estate issues (who have generally been
>reasonably helpful), and the set of people who like practical jokes has a
>(nearly?) null intersection with the set of people who go into government
>service.  Especially when you do something to send people to the doctor
>because of chemical-induced vomiting...

Ditto in spade for me. To wit, if I caught someone dumping mercaptin under
my door I'd likely be so enraged I'd empty a clip into him right then and
there...and I'd consider myself justified.

Bell "crossed the line" into committing prosecutable offenses in more than
just the alleged mercaptin attack. There was also the matter of working
under multiple faked Social Security numbers.

(No, I'm not saying this was immoral. Just illegal. And those who do the
crime should not be surprised to have to do the time.)

The issue of whether he threatened IRS officials at their home by having
their home addresses is unproven to me. Compiling such lists is perfectly
legal.

The metal chaff he supposedly wanted to drop down an IRS building
airshaft...well, it seems unworkable.

And, as many of us have noted, their is zero chance a working AP system was
deployed, absent several of the building blocks. So AP could not in itself
have been a threat.

But clearly his AP literature aroused much interest by various arms of law
enforcement. And once arouse, they pretty much had to find something to get
him on. His earlier conviction or plea on chemical and/or drug charges
meant they were looking for chemicals. And they found them.

Plus, recall that Bell bragged to his friends that he'd gotten revenge
against a lawyer he didn't like, and against the IRS.

>If Tim May gets picked up, I expect it to be a result of a Chinese Cultural
>Revolution-type action (all intellectuals, all programmers, all engineers,
>etc.).  As long as Tim isn't entrapped, he is probably pretty safe from
>being picked up.  However, there's going to be a lot of changes in the near
>future (e$, Y2K, Internet fall-out, biochemoelectronics, etc.), so I advise
>that everyone batten down the hatches -- we're in for a stormy ride into a
>[likely] glorious future.

I don't hide my political views, nor my support of various interesting
technologies. My actions are fully protected by the Bill of Rights, even if
various unconstitutional restrictions on mys speech and funding habits have
been recently passed.

I expect the chickens to come home to roost...meaning, some nerve gas or
biological attacks on government, the nuking of at least one major city,
and possibly the driving of the Zionists into the sea (figuratively
speaking, as more literally they'll probably be hacked to death by Arabs,
gassed by neighboring states, and possibly incinerated with ex-Soviet
nukes).

Chickens coming home to roost. The patriot movement in the U.S. is gaining
strength every day, though it is going to ground. (Which makes strong
crypto tools much more interesting and important to them.) I expect they
may strike at various targets as Y2K unfolds.

It is a glorious thing for our technologies to be spreading into the hands
of those who can do so much.

--Tim May

"The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of
tyrants...."
Licensed Ontologist              | black markets, collapse of governments.

Thread