1998-09-08 - radio net

Header Data

From: Ryan Lackey <ryan@systemics.ai>
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Message Hash: dd8ce7451b0dfd5b9bbdc70f98aeca66d7d9f29653e1dcfd63107afc1a1fc699
Message ID: <E0zGSWY-0002wH-00@arianrhod.systemics.ai>
Raw Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 02:37:16 +0800

Raw message

From: Ryan Lackey <ryan@systemics.ai>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 02:37:16 +0800
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Subject: radio net

Is anyone else interested in setting up a radio net (probably packet radio
relay) to relay small quantities of data in the event the telecommunications
infrastructure becomes unavailable (either technically or legally/politically/
militarily)?  There are existing packet relay nets, but in my experience
amateur radio people, especially in the US, are very willing to roll over
for the government at the slightest cause.

I think the cost would be something like $1-5k per station, and it could
be done in a fairly turnkey fashion.  Exactly how to handle routing and
what protocol to use on the network is kind of an open question -- there
are a lot of solutions, none of them optimal.

Thread