1998-09-08 - Tax silliness

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: ed81dd1836687f7eff574b66bfcab6dc6f9791cdc123284846c71e01f15542e6
Message ID: <v03130300b21a7226574d@[209.66.100.138]>
Reply To: <199809080254.TAA05443@cyberpass.net>
UTC Datetime: 1998-09-08 05:40:58 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 13:40:58 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 13:40:58 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Tax silliness

Folks, I generally restrain myself from passing on all the various news
stories I see or read.

But tonight Fox News is reporting that the IRS has said it may seek to
assess "gift taxes" if the guy who recovered Mark McGwire's 61st home
baseball gives the ball back to Mark McGwire.

(The ball is said to have a street value, to museums or collectors, of
$250K or so. The 62nd home run ball, the one which breaks Maris' record,
will supposedly be worth more than a million bucks.)

So, the shmuck who got this ball faces taxes on an unrealized gain if he
never sells the ball. And he gets taxed if he hands the ball back to
McGwire.

He makes no money, but pays 30-40% of some theoretical value in taxes.

Those fuckers in D. C. need to be put out of our misery.

--Tim May

"The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of
tyrants...."
Licensed Ontologist              | black markets, collapse of governments.

Thread