1998-09-16 - Re: DARPA Hires NetAss/TIS TO Develop Secure DNS

Header Data

From: Marshall Clow <mclow@owl.csusm.edu>
To: Bill Stewart <bill.stewart@pobox.com>
Message Hash: f1025f4c9c8088f83e0be4f3af1ec8dcabc61eb18832563cf2b25fca9b212dda
Message ID: <v04101709b226560e519a@[192.168.16.6]>
Reply To: <v04011712b20c5989c94f@[139.167.130.248]>
UTC Datetime: 1998-09-16 17:04:37 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 01:04:37 +0800

Raw message

From: Marshall Clow <mclow@owl.csusm.edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 01:04:37 +0800
To: Bill Stewart <bill.stewart@pobox.com>
Subject: Re: DARPA Hires NetAss/TIS TO Develop Secure DNS

>This is somewhat tacky.  SecureDNS exists, and TIS got export approval
>a while back to publish a "bones" version, minus encryption routines.
>John Gilmore and his lawyer decided that, since it only does authentication,
>not message encryption, it should be ok to publish _with_ the crypto
>algorithms, and it's been quietly sitting on his web pages.
>Recently the Feds sent him a letter saying "Oh, no, we didn't mean
>it was OK to publish/export this encryption-based authentication system
>just because the law says you can, so stop it"....
>Now they're paying for another version.  Are they going to try something
>DSS-based instead of RSA, just so you don't need encryption-capable
>crypto with it, or is this going to be another scam?
>Or is it just different parts of the Feds not talking to each other?

Delay is the deadliest form of denial.
-- Marshall

Marshall Clow     Adobe Systems   <mailto:mclow@mailhost2.csusm.edu>

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the
government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of
taking care of them." --Thomas Jefferson

Thread