1998-10-16 - Re: IP: ISP not liable for customer’s messages

Header Data

From: Eric Cordian <emc@wire.insync.net>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 2e5e79d145c7168ab2337a783e223776f63a518c99561a5ed5f6893b66053cb9
Message ID: <199810161720.MAA19054@wire.insync.net>
Reply To: <Pine.BSF.3.91.981014145345.29120A-100000@mcfeely.bsfs.org>
UTC Datetime: 1998-10-16 18:07:48 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 17 Oct 1998 02:07:48 +0800

Raw message

From: Eric Cordian <emc@wire.insync.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 1998 02:07:48 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: IP: ISP not liable for customer's messages

Mr. Wombat writes:

> > As I recall, the individual was trying to sell a pornographic video
> > featuring the woman's 11 year old son, which is another thing entirely.

> Not really. If the service providor is to be held accountable for what
> its members post/say/etc., they would have to monitor *all* traffic in
> order to police their members. In addition, even if the providor *were*
> monitoring, they can only be reactive - do you expect them to monitor and
> censor all traffic before releasing it?

I was merely correcting a factual error in the prior post.

Clearly, a parent is likely to feel more outrage towards AOL if
pornographic videos of their 11 year old son are being openly sold online
by the child's victimizer, than if some random person tries to sell said
11 year old a piece of mainstream erotica.

Pointing out why this parent is so bent out of shape over this is not the
moral equivalent of suggesting that servuce providers should be held
accountable for content they do not originate, which I do not support.

--
Eric Michael Cordian 0+