1998-10-18 - Re: More on Postel

Header Data

From: Kevlar <webmaster@max-web.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 561d349d0c7e0cf6b8d53ce0d7dbe0519a2d0f8e90745224e91afced127482bb
Message ID: <3.0.5.32.19981018121429.008e7100@max-web.com>
Reply To: <36298670.B1A@att.com>
UTC Datetime: 1998-10-18 19:57:32 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 03:57:32 +0800

Raw message

From: Kevlar <webmaster@max-web.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 03:57:32 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: More on Postel

Damn. Talk about a blow to the heart.

Where can I find more information about this great man and his
achievements? Has there been any memorial web sites put up? I'de be happy
to donate space on my server. Just e-mail me at god@max-web.com. Are there
any news stories worth reading on this subject?

At 11:10 PM 10/17/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Subject: IP: Remembrance/postel
>From: Dave Farber [farber@cis.upenn.edu]
>
>I, and others I fear, have spent a sleepless night after hearing of the
>death of Jon Postel last night. This morning there was a  note in my
>mail box from Vint Cerf that said many of the things I feel at this
>time. I asked him for permission to send on which he granted.
>
>I also remember Jon. I was his primary thesis advisor along with Jerry
>Estrin and I remember with fond memories the months spent closely
>working with Jon while his eager mind developed the ideas in back of
>what was a pioneering thesis that founded the area of protocol
>verification.  Since I was at UC Irvine and Jon at UCLA we used to meet
>in the morning prior to my ride to UCI at a Pancake House in Santa
>Monica for breakfast and the hard work of developing a thesis. I gained
>a great respect for Jon then and 10 pounds of weight.
>
>I will miss him greatly. Jon was my second Ph.D. student. The first,
>Philip Merlin, also died way before his time.
>
>Dave

> October 17, 1998
>
>I REMEMBER IANA
>
>Vint Cerf
>
>A long time ago, in a network, far far away, a great adventure took
>place...
>
>Out of the chaos of new ideas for communication, the experiments, the
>tentative designs, and crucible of testing, there emerged a cornucopia
>of networks. Beginning with the ARPANET, an endless stream of networks
>evolved, and ultimately were interlinked to become the Internet. Someone
>had to keep track of all the protocols, the identifiers, networks and
>addresses and ultimately the names of all the things in the networked
>universe. And someone had to keep track of all the information that
>erupted with volcanic force from the intensity of the debates and
>discussions and endless invention that has continued unabated for 30
>years. That someone was Jonathan B. Postel, our Internet Assigned
>Numbers Authority, friend, engineer, confidant, leader, icon, and now,
>first of the giants to depart from our midst.
>
>Jon, our beloved IANA, is gone. Even as I write these words I cannot
>quite grasp this stark fact. We had almost lost him once before in 1991.
>Surely we knew he was at risk as are we all. But he had been our rock,
>the foundation on which our every web search and email was built, always
>there to mediate the random dispute, to remind us when our documentation
>did not do justice to its subject, to make difficult decisions with
>apparent ease, and to consult when careful consideration was needed. We
>will survive our loss and we will remember. He has left a monumental
>legacy for all Internauts to contemplate. Steadfast service for decades,
>moving when others seemed paralyzed, always finding the right course in
>a complex minefield of technical and sometimes political obstacles.
>
>Jon and I went to the same high school, Van Nuys High, in the San
> [...]
-Kevlar
<Webmaster@max-web.com>

Does God know Peano Algebra? Or does she not care if strong atheists
couldnt reason their way out of a trap made of Boolean presumptions?

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing, but zero knowlege is
absolutely subversive.

Overspecialization breeds in weakness. It's a slow death.

Beat your algorithms into swords, your dumb terminals into shields, and
turn virtual machines into battlefields... Let the weak say, "I am strong"
and question authority.

Thread