1998-10-30 - Re: don’t use passwords as private keys (was Re: Using a password as a private key.)

Header Data

From: RedRook <redrook@yahoo.com>
To: bill.stewart@pobox.com
Message Hash: 7cd2d92b09ed8db378b56b147f8a494c4681bc1d05c1e034ca1537fe00c10749
Message ID: <19981029221752.26488.rocketmail@send102.yahoomail.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 17:17:59 +0800

Raw message

From: RedRook <redrook@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 17:17:59 +0800
To: bill.stewart@pobox.com
Subject: Re: don't use passwords as private keys (was Re: Using a password as a private key.)

You don't know you have to destroy a key file, until it is too late.
Until then, it's just laying around waiting for some one to copy and
crack. If you are paranoid enough to assume your opponent is going to
torcher you to get your signature password, you should assume that he
already has your keyfile, and is willing to torcher you to get it's
password.

Thus coercion and dicitonary attacks are moot points. That is, if your
password is good enough.

So, what's worse; guarding a high entopy password with a low entropy
password, or trying to memorize a high entropy password?

Harv