1998-10-08 - No Subject

Header Data

From: “Patrick Hudson” <patrick_33@hotmail.com>
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Message Hash: 85e1030a33da25dad3258c9e1aa8a751e6a7cfe7d2ef954590b879fcc05cfd49
Message ID: <19981008171434.22488.qmail@hotmail.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 01:42:14 +0800

Raw message

From: "Patrick Hudson" <patrick_33@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 01:42:14 +0800
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Subject: No Subject

Hi

Have spent the last few weeks going through various web pages describing
GSM cloning. Some contradicting views, but overall the point is well
made (and quite correctly) - cloning and/interception/monitering is both
viable and achieveable.

I recently was commissioned to look into this subject on behalf of a
client who wished to moniter a GSM phone. Putting aside the rights and
wrongs of the issue, we realised the objective.

In summary it is possible to moniter/intercept a GSM phone using 2
pieces of commercially avaliable RACAL equipment, linked via a custom
made preselector/combiner. The overall setup is easily portable and is
controlled via a pc.

It goes without saying that RACAL do not market the hardware for the
above purpose - it has legitimate engineering needs, and is marketed
under that legimate need. RACAL do not make the precombiner/selector (we
had to make that) and they do not market the software AT ALL. I suspect
that they are aware that the hardware in conjunction with the software
(and access to a combiner/spliter)would give access to interception.

So you must be thinking what sim parameters (or other parameters) had to
be programmed into the pc software programme to allow selective
interception of a GSM phone?

Very little - in fact all that had to be programmed in was the phone
number of the GSM handset to be targeted - and absolutely nothing else!

It's food for thought.

Best Regards

Patrick_33@hotmail.com

*This is not for general distribution on the web, but is shared with you
on the basis of what appears to be a serious discussion on the subject
on your side. please respect that aspect of confidentuality and feel
free to get back to me with any comments you may have. One important
aspect of the exercise has been deliberatly left out, it has little
effect on sizing or costing but none-the-less is a requirement. Most
engineers who understand what is involved in running 2 pieces of rf
equipment in parrallel (both in TX and RX functions)at the same time
will understand what is left out.