1998-10-16 - Re: Who is next? (re Jim’s subpoena)

Header Data

From: DOOM Anonymous Untraceable User <nobody@seclab.com>
To: billh@ibag.com>
Message Hash: 938e4de08782172647ca1f98dc11b0b4b175eae5a8dc569071a34cb8d4427bdf
Message ID: <199810161605.SAA04880@rogue.seclab.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 17 Oct 1998 00:28:10 +0800

Raw message

From: DOOM Anonymous Untraceable User <nobody@seclab.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 1998 00:28:10 +0800
To: billh@ibag.com>
Subject: Re: Who is next? (re Jim's subpoena)

Could you mean this....

                First they came for the Communists,
                  and I didn't speak up,
                    because I wasn't a Communist.
                Then they came for the Jews,
                  and I didn't speak up,
                    because I wasn't a Jew.
                Then they came for the Catholics,
                  and I didn't speak up,
                    because I was a Protestant.
                Then they came for me,
                  and by that time there was no one
                    left to speak up for me.

                by Rev. Martin Niemoller, 1945.

William J. Hartwell wrote:

> This ran through my mind this morning before I was totally awake. Maybe
> somebody can help me with the original author of this....
>
> When they came for Kevin Mitnick I said nothing. After all he was a big
> time hacker and I wasn't a hacker so I did not speak up.
>
> When they came for Jim Bell I said nothing. He was a criminal and I am not
> a criminal so I didn't speak up.
>
> When they came for Toto I said nothing. Surely he was nuts and I am
> completely sane so I didn't speak up.
>
> When they came for Jim Choate I said nothing. He runs a cypherpunks mailing
> list and I don't manage any lists so I didn't speak up.
>
> When they come for me who will be left to speak up?
>
> This is a poor paraphrase of the original but I wonder if it is something
> that we may be saying here in the U.S. soon?
>
> --
>                                         William J. Hartwell
>                                            (602)987-8436
>                                           Queencreek, Az.