1998-10-01 - RE: GPL & commercial software, the critical distinction (fwd)

Header Data

From: “James A. Donald” <jamesd@echeque.com>
To: Cypherpunks <cypherpunks@cyberpass.net>
Message Hash: 9625c8e6ca8736bc15255f8076f82da826cc0d9468174706254a52ac52d28043
Message ID: <199810020548.WAA02571@proxy3.ba.best.com>
Reply To: <33CCFE438B9DD01192E800A024C84A1928471D@mossbay.chaffeyhomes.com>
UTC Datetime: 1998-10-01 16:49:50 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 00:49:50 +0800

Raw message

From: "James A. Donald" <jamesd@echeque.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 00:49:50 +0800
To: Cypherpunks <cypherpunks@cyberpass.net>
Subject: RE: GPL & commercial software, the critical distinction (fwd)

At 02:18 PM 10/1/98 -0500, Kevin Elliott wrote:
> I'm afraid sir, that your ingonorance is showing.  Pick up
> any college (hell, high school) ecomonics textbook.
> Certain types of businesses are inheritly advantagious to
> monopolies.  The electric company is the classic example-
> their is no cost effective way for an electric company to
> supply power to a given area unless it is a monopoly.
> Certain types of businesses are suited to certain types of
> competition, and, unregulated, monopolies are exactly what
> you get.  This was exactly the situation that occured at
> the turn of the century and it happened because regulation
> was non-existant!

Bullshit.  No monopoly has ever happened except by regulation
I have no idea what you are referring to in your reference to
the turn of the century.  If you are referring to standard
oil, you are parroting silly communist propaganda with no
basis in reality.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     jeE+LNH/f8RnmYDChWQ48wf3pqRR6WcCMCJYSUXI
     45eF2HkK+9DX6z7XPNhbGoHJc96S3SuJ9SBUnw+iJ
We have the right to defend ourselves and our property, because
of the kind of animals that we are. True law derives from this
right, not from the arbitrary power of the omnipotent state.

http://www.jim.com/jamesd/      James A. Donald

Thread