1998-10-13 - BATF strike again

Header Data

From: Anonymous <remailer@hr13.zedz.net>
To: cypherpunks@einstein.ssz.com
Message Hash: b761f4509a6c0a3d63e26222630741d2863b9b0ccbba34285cd3f76dd59839aa
Message ID: <eb5cbac67faa0bad@hr13.zedz.net>
Raw Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 18:43:51 +0800

Raw message

From: Anonymous <remailer@hr13.zedz.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 18:43:51 +0800
To: cypherpunks@einstein.ssz.com
Subject: BATF strike again

CHRISTINE L. PETERSON

Friends skeptical of official account October 8, 1998
http://www.bakersfield.com/top/i--1304241419.asp

By CHRISTINE L. PETERSON
Californian staff writer

Disbelief permeated the tight-knit communities of Taft and Ford City Thursday as residents and friends of Darryl Howell questioned law
enforcement's account of his death in his gun shop.

The Kern County Sheriff Department's version of the events - that the gun shop owner grabbed a loaded .45-caliber handgun Wednesday,
struggled with officers and then placed the barrel in his mouth and pulled the trigger -just didn't fit with what they knew of the father of two.

Sheriff's officials said a Taft police officer, not knowing where the expended round went, immediately fired three rounds that struck Howell, 45,
on the right side of his body. He died at the scene.

"Everyone in Taft knows this is stupid," said Shannon Ong, 34, Howell's niece. "They think the police officers are trying to make it seem like he
was a criminal."

Ong believes there could be nothing further from the truth - that the man who grew up in Taft and graduated from Taft Union High School
where yearbooks say he played football and was in the band was a wonderful man who ran an upstanding business.

While at least one family member and friends said Howell was vocal in support of gun rights, they did not believe he would condone any illegal
behavior or sell illegal firearms.

"The way that press release makes him sound, well, he just would have never done anything like that," Ong said after reading a copy of a
sheriff's news release on the incident.

ATF agents went to Alpha Omega Surplus and Supplies Store as part of a four-year firearms trafficking investigation, said ATF special agent
Tracy Hite.

She said ATF was assisted in serving a warrant by the Taft Police Department and Kern County Sheriff's Department.

"This was a lengthy investigation that led us to several locations," Hite said, explaining that there were search warrants for five locations and
arrest warrants for three people in Kern County.

Ong estimated her uncle had the business for 15 to 20 years, first within Taft city limits and then in the county.

At the business Thursday, some family members and friends gathered at the shop. A bumper sticker on a window bore the message: "Only
tyrants and criminals fear honest armed citizens." Recorded programs blared from speakers outside the shop.

"I just don't understand it," said friend Jamie Walchock.

She said that while she didn't share Howell's support of guns, she respected him because he looked on the bright side of life, listened to and
worked with people on their problems and was satisfied with making ends meet. She said Howell talked about moving.

"In the 12 years I have known him, I have never seen him upset," Walchock said.

To her, Howell was a law-abiding citizen; she said he didn't like helmets so he stopped riding his motorcycle when the helmet law went into
effect.

"I know in a million years he wouldn't ever shoot himself or lunge at a police officer," Walchock said.

Ken Bishop, who would sometimes visit Howell at his shop, said Howell was "somewhat of a patriot" and would share his opinions about guns.
He said that law enforcement's statement that Howell had illegal firearms seems "off the wall."

Mike Hodges, the publisher of Golden Empire Review, said Howell asked to have a column printed in the paper titled, "Notes from Moron."

Taft was called Moron in 1908, according to "Kern County Place Names." The city changed its name to Taft in 1909.

In the column, Howell quotes several passages from the Bible. The column Hodges attributed to Howell states, "It is not an hone to be in the
Militia! It is our God-given duty! We are commanded to be his soldiers. It is time to lay aside our 'daily' jobs and return to duty! R&R is over!
To arms, to arms! Where are His soldiers?

"Right now, where is your squad members? Right now can you honestly state that you are aware of their location and their ability to respond to
duty?"

Hodges said after Howell died, he reread the column.

"It gave me an eerie, shaky feeling," Hodges said.

He said he didn't believe Howell would ever resist arrest. While Howell didn't agree with some gun legislation, he abided by it, Hodges said.

"I know Darryl wouldn't kill himself and he wouldn't hurt someone else," Hodges said.

"My personal experience is he was a real giving person."

10/07/98 Article
Man shot to death at Taft gun shop
http://www.bakersfield.com/top/i--1304325052.asp

Thread