1998-10-17 - Fwd: AUCRYPTO: for distrib. (fwd)

Header Data

From: “Jean-Francois Avon” <jf_avon@citenet.net>
To: “Private Liberty List” <Martin.P@parl.gc.ca>
Message Hash: b88fe4f546e2ae607b6b29edae107e2535443624fbc842e68a9375ecaac5b090
Message ID: <199810171556.LAA01453@cti06.citenet.net>
Raw Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 00:31:43 +0800

Raw message

From: "Jean-Francois Avon" <jf_avon@citenet.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 00:31:43 +0800
To: "Private Liberty List" <Martin.P@parl.gc.ca>
Subject: Fwd: AUCRYPTO: for distrib. (fwd)

>From: Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
>Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 18:52:47 +1000 (EST)
>To: aucrypto@suburbia.net
>Subject: AUCRYPTO: for distrib. (fwd)

I read this today and thought it might be of general interest.

Darren

> The public key
>
> The perception of people losing their privacy has hit the mainstream.  ABC
> News began a series on October 5th entitled Privacy Lost.
>
> Operation Echelon, if you haven't heard of it yet you will once mainstream
> media gets a hold of it.  We began reading about this and the more
> information we found the more we began to think George Orwell worked for the
> NSA [USA National Security Agency ].  When all the details surface we
> may find that big brother really does
> exist and has for some time. The NSA reportedly worked closely with other
> security agencies to build an interception network.  This network is so vast
> that it can supposedly intercept every electronic communication on the
> planet.  The ramifications of this network existing we think will be far
> reaching and go a long way to forming online privacy policy in the future.
>
> The NSA was also nice enough to provide us with our next topic as well.  It
> appears that up until a few years ago the NSA had a clandestine agreement
> with a Swiss cryptography company, Crypto AG.  Crypto AG also at one time
> provided most of the encryption equipment used at the diplomatic level
> around the world.  What's special about this is, the agreement allowed the
> NSA to embed key-recovery devices inside products sold to other countries.
> The NSA could read the information transmitted with these products as easily
> as reading the newspaper.  This was an ongoing process until March 1992,
> when Iranian counterintelligence agents arrested a marketing representative
> from Crypto AG on suspicion of spying.  The battle for privacy continues.

Jean-Francois Avon, B.Sc. Physics, Montreal, Canada
  DePompadour, Socit d'Importation Lte
     Limoges fine porcelain and french crystal
  JFA Technologies, R&D physicists & engineers
     Instrumentation & control, LabView programming
PGP keys: http://bs.mit.edu:8001/pks-toplev.html
PGP ID:C58ADD0D:529645E8205A8A5E F87CC86FAEFEF891
PGP ID:5B51964D:152ACCBCD4A481B0 254011193237822C

Thread