1998-10-18 - 2nd Report on Political Control Technologies

Header Data

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: de564499bec676bf8b6fd423601fe7cdab01acf4a3dfc7f1539ca45652815728
Message ID: <199810181136.HAA08061@camel7.mindspring.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 04:36:31 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 04:36:31 -0700 (PDT)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: 2nd Report on Political Control Technologies

Forward:

Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 11:26:38 +0200
To: jya@pipeline.com
From: Marie-Jose Klaver <klaver@nrc.nl>
Subject: Second report An Appraisal of Technologies of Political Control

I'm a Dutch journalist, working for NRC Handelsblad, one of the major
newspapers in the Netherlands. I've been reporting about the STOA
report An Appraisal of Technologies of Political Control since last
February.

A second report came out last month. I got a copy a few days ago from
the Omega Foundation and had an article about it in NRC Handelsblad
today. This second report has interesting information about the so called
EU-FBI global surveillance plan. According to a secret memorandum
the EU countries have agreed with the FBI to intercept all European
datacommunication. To do this some EU countries like Holland and
Germany changed their laws to make broad wiretapping and
interception of Internet and other datacommunication possible.
Germany changed its constitution in the beginning of this year and in
Holland a law was made and accepted by both chambers of the
Parliament that obliges all firms with computer and communication
networks (providers, telco's, newspapers etc.) to make their systems
tappable.

You can read the second report at:

   http://www.nrc.nl/W2/Lab/Echelon/stoa2sept1998.html  [104K]

Marie-Jose Klaver

NRC Handelsblad

http://www.nrc.nl/W2/Lab/Echelon

There's much new information in the report, especially on
the US export of political control technologies which
complements Amnesty International's recent critique of
US violations of human rights, as well as the US Bureau
of Prisons reorganization, all to accommodate the rise in
domestic and foreign freedom fighters, oops, terrorists,
as global Justice and Defense agencies characterize
naysayers to bloated organs of dysfunctional cracies.

Thread