1998-10-30 - Re: Shuffling (fwd)

Header Data

From: iang@cs.berkeley.edu (Ian Goldberg)
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: f3f52cc26c04b270fe37c35825dc9783411aa92acd0a9491df6f42556d30b74c
Message ID: <71d1ik$b4o$1@abraham.cs.berkeley.edu>
Reply To: <199810291716.LAA19879@einstein.ssz.com>
UTC Datetime: 1998-10-30 19:18:33 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 03:18:33 +0800

Raw message

From: iang@cs.berkeley.edu (Ian Goldberg)
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 03:18:33 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: Shuffling (fwd)

In article <199810291716.LAA19879@einstein.ssz.com>,
Jim Choate  <ravage@einstein.ssz.com> wrote:
> [...]

Yup.

   "It's only a model."  -- Monty Python and the Holy Grail

>It also doesn't address the problem of 'clumping' where a group of cards (ie
>royal flush) stay together through the shuffling. This is the reason that
>real dealers try for a 1-for-1 shuffle each time.

It actually _does_ address the normal, statistical clumping that goes on.
It _doesn't_ address clumping that occurs because, say, you were playing
poker while eating a peanut butter sandwich. :-)

   - Ian

Thread