1998-10-23 - Re: Cryptographic Dog Stocks, The Dirigible Biplane, and Sendingthe Wizards Back to Menlo Park

Header Data

From: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: f552b827f31e7ac24666c6c2f21143fae5521ad216eb57d16d5717ba7999a4d3
Message ID: <v04020a09b2565899e05a@[139.167.130.246]>
Reply To: <v04003a08b2551ff61c93@[198.115.179.81]>
UTC Datetime: 1998-10-23 17:05:34 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 24 Oct 1998 01:05:34 +0800

Raw message

From: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 1998 01:05:34 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: Cryptographic Dog Stocks, The Dirigible Biplane, and  Sendingthe  Wizards Back to Menlo Park

At 1:19 AM -0400 on 10/23/98, Tim May wrote:

> I've been a critic of some of Bob's "exuberance," his tendency to go off on
> rhetorical flights of fancy, his irritating "ums" and "ers" and ":-}"s, and
> his generally opaque writing style.

No accounting for taste, or the lack thereof, for that matter.

> I think there's a kernel of good thinking in there, but his attention seems
> to flit about. And he seems more interesting in cutesy turns of phrase than
> in persuasive exposition.

What? "Too many notes", Signore Solieri? :-).

> If there's stuff there, it's lost in the freneticism.

Don't worry, Tim, you know it all already. Everything I ever learned on
this stuff, I learned from you, anyway.

Execpt the finance, of course. :-).

You know where the 'd' key is, and I bet you even know how to use your
killfile, if you tried.

> I guess some folks are amazed that anyone can write the way Bob does. Me, I
> was never amazed by the writings of Detweiler, Toto, or Hettinga.

Right back atcha Tim. And don't forget to shoot back at the Feds when they
fly the black helicopters over your house. Otherwise, they might not even
know you're there, hmmm?

Oh, well. You can't always pick your friends. Or your friend's nose, for
that matter. <Ewwwwww...>

Cheers,
Bob Hettinga
Robert A. Hettinga <mailto: rah@philodox.com>
Philodox Financial Technology Evangelism <http://www.philodox.com/>
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA