1998-11-22 - Re: Hey, what does he know?

Header Data

From: landon dyer <landon@best.com>
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Message Hash: 193fdc9d62530eec2052bd60ef7a3d7df44a2a559026d6046715a8bd8c913c64
Message ID: <4.1.19981122084708.00a283f0@shell9.ba.best.com>
Reply To: <000101be1631$ca7052c0$7fa795cd@big-boy.teletactics.com>
UTC Datetime: 1998-11-22 17:58:44 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 01:58:44 +0800

Raw message

From: landon dyer <landon@best.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 01:58:44 +0800
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Subject: Re: Hey, what does he know?

At 08:03 AM 11/22/98, you wrote:
>http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2168153,00.html

  well, no matter wh'appens, microsoft is going to come out of
this smelling like a rose

>"By the time the government's case is done, who knows how the industry will
>look?" he said. "And furthermore, it could open the door to more government
>regulation of the technology industry overall."

  putting on my favorite cryptoparanoia hat, over the next five years:

   o	MS gets what it wants -- more regulation, forcing it to stop
	selling OSs with computers.  instead, if you by an MS OS, you'll
	rent it annually.  ["please, janet, don't throw me in that briar
	patch!"]

	to do this, MS has to get intel to put crypto hooks in the
	wintel architecture; microcode burned-in at the chip fab that
	prevents MS operating systems from running on other h/w

   o	intel gets what it wants: no clones.  if you want to run linux
	on your AMD K-10, feel free.  if AMD wants to get in the game,
	they'll have to visit ft. meade

   o	the government gets what it wants, because the crypto hooks
	in the wintel architecture allow KRAP to proceed without any
	pesky legislation -- just behind-doors agreements with MS and
	intel

	a more cynical person than me might note that sun's "java OS"
	that would run anywhere would be a *lot* more difficult to
	suborn at the chip level

  i haven't figured out how the communications infrastructure is going
to be noodled.  maybe it doesn't have to be.  expect ipsec to die a
long, slow death -- a delaying tactic, the best kind for the feds,
because it prevents any sucessors from getting up a head of steam.  [i
don't know beans about the current status of ipsec]

  long about 2020 or so it'll be a federal offense to own an EPROM
burner, a processor with re-flashed microcode, an unlicensed logic
analyzer, or a copy of linux... :-)

  [stay tuned for a short story about the freedom fighters of 2025,
   hacking secure communications on copies of the last architectures
   known not to be compromised ("daddy, what's a PDP-10?"), running ITS
   on souped-up gigahertz pocket portables, getting packets through on
   covert channels involving the coat-tails of the (now ubiquitous) KRAP
   session key negotiations...]

-landon [re-lurking]

Thread