1998-11-15 - Re: Elder Kennedy ordered to tesify to Grand Jury (if you can (fwd)

Header Data

From: Rabid Wombat <wombat@mcfeely.bsfs.org>
To: Jim Choate <ravage@einstein.ssz.com>
Message Hash: 196fdc768d35545f47a4bb6bd7d8bdedb3476061a94fccb125467b0c72795884
Message ID: <Pine.BSF.3.91.981115125343.17485A-100000@mcfeely.bsfs.org>
Reply To: <199811120446.WAA27641@einstein.ssz.com>
UTC Datetime: 1998-11-15 18:18:01 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 02:18:01 +0800

Raw message

From: Rabid Wombat <wombat@mcfeely.bsfs.org>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 02:18:01 +0800
To: Jim Choate <ravage@einstein.ssz.com>
Subject: Re: Elder Kennedy ordered to tesify to Grand Jury (if you can (fwd)

On Wed, 11 Nov 1998, Jim Choate wrote:

> [...]

What part of Petro's response did you fail to understand? THe "elder
Kennedy" is not on trail. A grand jury is convened to determine if enough
evidence exists to bring trail. Those brought before a grand jury are
almost always witnesses, or potential witnesses, as is the elder Kennedy.

A grand jury hearing and a criminal trail are two completely seperate
processes. All the grand jury can do is determine whether or not to
indite, whereupon the accused has the right to a fair trail before a jury
as you state.

Anyway, the injustice in this matter is that the two most likely
suspects, who were both dating the victim up to her death, have never
been brought to trial. Just another abuse by america's "royal family."

The murder weapon was a golf club belonging to, as I recall, the father
of one of the boys. Both boys were seen with her on the night of her
death. No trial for over twenty years, plenty of expensive legal
manuvering to prevent one. And now Jim complaining that a single judge is
insufficient to determine if an inditement should be handed down.

Perhaps prof. Froomkin is reading the list and can pass on an informed
legal opinion? I've never seen any regulations baring a judge from
serving in the capacity of a grand jury, OTOH, IANAL.

-r.w.

Thread