1998-11-10 - IPINFO: Re: IP: Clinton Wants Loophole In U.S. Free Speech Closed

Header Data

From: “Vladimir Z. Nuri” <vznuri@netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 22a344d8acec0f5376c529edeea697f0cd18b81e3588a645711719479fc1d91a
Message ID: <199811102122.NAA18772@netcom13.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 06:08:03 +0800

Raw message

From: "Vladimir Z. Nuri" <vznuri@netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 06:08:03 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: IPINFO: Re: IP: Clinton Wants Loophole In U.S. Free Speech Closed

From: believer@telepath.com
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 13:08:39 -0600
To: oldbat <bucsplace@cchat.com>, ignition-point@majordomo.pobox.com

NOTICE TO LISTEES:

If you are forwarding materials to the IP list that include URLs, *PLEASE*
check them for accuracy before posting.

Regarding:
--------------------------
>>Subject: IP: Clinton Wants Loophole In U.S. Free Speech Closed
>>http://dailynews.yahoo.com/headlines/ts/story.html?s=v/nm/19981107/ts/guns
_3.html

>> WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Clinton directed his government
Saturday to
>> find a way to close a legal loophole that allows speakers/journalists to
>> express their ideas at public places with no questions asked.
--------------------------

The above "story" is either a spoof of satire, or else an incorrect URL was
given to accompany the article.  If you access the link above you DO NOT
find a story about free speech, but rather, the material below.  If
materials you send are not factual but are humorous or satirical in nature,
please note that for the readers so we don't have a bunch of unfounded
rumors floating around about new draconian measures that were actually only
jokes to begin with.  If there is a real story about Clinton's opposition
to free speech, someone please send the correct URL.  Here is the REAL
story that accompanies the link above:

Saturday November 7 12:46 PM ET

Clinton Wants Loophole In U.S. Gun Law Closed

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Clinton directed his government Saturday
to find a way to close a legal loophole that allows dealers to sell guns at
gun shows with no questions asked.

In his weekly radio address, Clinton said a ``dangerous trend'' is emerging
at gun shows because the Brady handgun control law permits some firearms to
be sold without background checks at these shows.

``Some of these gun shows have become illegal arms bazaars for criminals
and gun traffickers looking to buy and sell guns on a cash-and-carry,
no-questions-asked basis,'' Clinton said.

He directed Treasury Secretary Robert Rubin and Attorney General Janet Reno
to report back to him in 60 days with a plan to close the loophole and
prohibit any gun sale without a background check.

``I believe this should be the law of the land: No background check, no
gun, no exceptions,'' Clinton said.

In a fact sheet, the White House said that every year about 5 million
people attend an estimated 5,000 gun shows at convention centers, school
gyms and on fairgrounds.

The Brady law requires a five-day waiting period for gun purchasers in
order for a background check. On Nov. 30, the FBI's National Instant
Criminal Background Check System is set to take effect to allow quicker
checks and approve gun sales within minutes.

In addition, on Nov. 30 the law will be strengthened in two ways: purchases
of all firearms, not just handguns, will be subject to Brady background
checks as will pawnshop redemptions, which are four times as likely to
involve a prohibited purchase.

Overall, the White House said, it is estimated that the number of
background checks conducted nationally will increase from 4 million to
between 10 and 12 million.

Unregulated sales at gun shows were ``an open invitation to criminals,''
said Sarah Brady, who chairs Handgun Control Inc. The Brady law was named
after her husband, James Brady, who was wounded in an attack on President
Ronald Reagan in 1981.

California and Maryland regulate ``flea market'' gun sales, said Brady.
Florida voters passed a constitutional amendment Tuesday giving counties
the power to require a waiting period and a background check for sales at
gun shows and other public places.

  Copyright (c) 1998 Reuters Limited.
NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is
distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior
interest in receiving this information for non-profit research and
educational purposes only. For more information go to:
with the message:
     (un)subscribe ignition-point email@address

or (un)subscribe ignition-point-digest email@address
www.telepath.com/believer