1998-11-25 - Re: Netscape AOL Instant Messenger Confirmation (kB3bEjeb1I aohelsux)

Header Data

From: Anonymous <nobody@replay.com>
To: Netscape AOL Instant Messenger <security@aol.com
Message Hash: 4295f5b95a9bd378c494084cbb69cad008b52cfe41d2c203cd5c9da89aa33158
Message ID: <199811250241.DAA01847@replay.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 11:13:09 +0800

Raw message

From: Anonymous <nobody@replay.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 11:13:09 +0800
To: Netscape AOL Instant Messenger <security@aol.com
Subject: Re: Netscape AOL Instant Messenger Confirmation (kB3bEjeb1I aohelsux)

This does wonders for my opinion of AOL. Even the administration has no clue.

AOL administration spammed the Cypherpunks <cypherpunks@toad.com> list, using
an address for Cypherpunks which has been defunct for over a year now, with:

>Thank you for registering for Netscape AOL Instant Messenger!
>
>Your registration for screen name aohelsux has been received.
>
>Please reply to this message within 48 hours to complete
>the registration process.  Simply reply to the present message
>and type 'OK' as the text of your message.

P.S. "Well they just responded to an address someone gave them," like
certain advocates of AOL, lamers, and Microsoft we have on the list have
said, is not an excuse. It's easy to set up domain validation. The spammers
just don't care.

Thread