1998-11-05 - Re: TriSnakeoil questions

Header Data

From: pgut001@cs.auckland.ac.nz (Peter Gutmann)
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: ade97ec4ae6b92fddd4423e93e637aa217e604fffc34d81d4a7cbf3f9b489312
Message ID: <91029670728883@cs26.cs.auckland.ac.nz>
Raw Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 04:45:47 +0800

Raw message

From: pgut001@cs.auckland.ac.nz (Peter Gutmann)
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 04:45:47 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: TriSnakeoil questions

I wrote:

>I'm currently sitting in a booth at a Tandem user show directly opposite the
>Atalla one.  If there's anything in particular which someone wants to ask
>them, let me know and I'll see how knowledgeable their salesdroids are.

I had a talk to them, it turns out that of the two different Atalla's, Atalla
the company and John Atalla the person, the snake oil is being pushed by
Atalla the person rather than Atalla the company.  The Atalla people knew as
little about it as everyone else, and although they were careful with their
replies I got the impression that they were about as impressed with TriStrata
as others on this list are.  OTOH perhaps they were just depressed that I
asked them about TriStrata instead of their RSA/3DES card :-).

[I have half a dozen brochures for this one, in every single brochure it's
 called something different (SET accelerator, SSL accelerator, e-commerce
 accelerator, <buzzword> accelerator) but once you get past the first few
 application-specific paragraphs the rest is identical.  Covers all the bases
 I guess.  Their white paper on why hardware crypto is better than software
 crypto is a hoot too - "Hardware is cheaper" (obviously some new definition
 of the word with which I wasn't previously familiar), "software crypto can't
 be shared" (as opposed to hardware, which can be shared with a simple copy
 command), etc.  Their products look pretty good, but everyone I talked to
 complained about the price and was ready to jump on software alternatives]

Peter.

Thread