1998-11-17 - Re: Privacy and the internet

Header Data

From: Jason Burton <webmaster@starloop.com>
To: Bill Stewart <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: cafd0a503ff96dbc37af75ebcebcced671f427a340c032629f3fcd746c6d2114
Message ID: <Version.32.19981116230046.00e6ab60@mail.starloop.com>
Reply To: <199811140949.BAA21751@toad.com>
UTC Datetime: 1998-11-17 05:46:07 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 13:46:07 +0800

Raw message

From: Jason Burton <webmaster@starloop.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 13:46:07 +0800
To: Bill Stewart <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: Re: Privacy and the internet

Something I can tell you about this..

My name is Jason Burton; and this is the URL :
http://exchange.worldaccessnet.com/dmca/narc.html
that is posting the information..

Now, if that were you, what would you do?

Thanks

I'd appreciate any help...
Jason Burton - webmaster@starloop.com
PGP FINGERPRINT: 29B3 C18B 233E 7666 6BCF  E9BF E5A4 CD93 C6E6 A77B

At 02:57 PM 11/15/98 -0800, you wrote:
>At 04:46 AM 11/14/98 -0500, Jason Burton wrote:
>>Does anyone know what I should do if someone was posting sensitive
>>information on a website?
>>And what if the webmaster of the domain doesnt respond to the request for
>>removal of information.
>>IS there something that say's what is and isn't able to be published
>>"personal information" on the internet.
>>If someone can reply I'd appreciate it.
>>Seeking council.
>
>They don't call this The Net Of A Million Lies for nothing :-)
>
>Depends substantially on what kind of information it is,
>what jurisdictions you, the web site, and the poster are in,
>and whether you're interested in seeking legal counsel
>as well as just hacker advice.  IANAL, but there are a range
>of torts from libel or slander to invasion of privacy to
>emotional distress that sometimes apply, if you're into
>that sort of approach; if the person the information is about
>is a public figure, this seldom works, and if the information
>is true, you've also got a much more limited case.
>
>Alternatively, there's the Big Gun Flame War approach of
>making sure everyone knows what an unresponsive loser the
>web site providers are, though that does lose the opportunity to quietly
>get the information to go away, even if it hasn't already been
>sucked down by Altavista, Yahoo, Hotbot, and DejaNews.
>
>Most web sites are either on big commercial hosting sites with
>relatively responsive abuse@wherever contacts, or else they're
>smaller sites which get connectivity and/or hosting service
>from larger providers.  So find out who their upstream providers are,
>and talk with them about their customer.
>				Thanks!
>					Bill
>Bill Stewart, bill.stewart@pobox.com
>PGP Fingerprint D454 E202 CBC8 40BF  3C85 B884 0ABE 4639

Thread