1998-11-14 - Re: DBS, Privacy, Money Laundering nonsense.

Header Data

From: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
To: “dbs” <dcsb@ai.mit.edu
Message Hash: ebeb3bacf84e4f352b987b761f3d1f15b2d7faf6c252e94b27a079c106f65ea8
Message ID: <v04020a0bb272c92279c7@[139.167.130.246]>
Reply To: <000001be0c04$5f604620$0100a8c0@p180.Workgroup>
UTC Datetime: 1998-11-14 06:33:55 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 14:33:55 +0800

Raw message

From: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 14:33:55 +0800
To: "dbs" <dcsb@ai.mit.edu
Subject: Re: DBS, Privacy, Money Laundering nonsense.

At 11:57 PM -0500 on 11/13/98, Black Unicorn wrote:

> If only we could be rid of this pesky cash would could eliminate organized
> crime forever.

Reminds me of something Vinnie Moscaritolo, my alter ego and Samoan attorney,
once said.

"'If we could just pass a few more laws' we could all be criminals."

Nonetheless, I think that DBS will be much more about economics than privacy
or even law. The contrapositive of Unicorn's excellent rant is that the market
for money "laundering" and financial privacy is a rediculuously small fraction
of the market for economic efficiency.

That digital bearer settlement gives us more or less perfect financial privacy
if done under certain conditions is much more a happy accident than anything
else, just like the cheapest way to do a transaction prior to blind signatures
and hash collisions was with book-entry transactions instead of paper bearer
certificates.

I suppose it *might* turn out that you really *can* do an instantaneously
executing, clearing, and settling on-line realtime book-entry transaction,
for everything from pico- to quadridollars, and it would be cheaper, both
macroeconomically and microeconomically, than a digital bearer one, but I
just don't think it's possible at all.

And, of course, we wouldn't have coach fare to Cleveland without a bunch of
"fanatics" out there, prattling away about slipping the surly bounds of earth,
the joy of flight, and all that... ;-).

Thank god for the "fanatics", I say, but let's make sure we pay attention to
Bill Bradley's adage that it's bad luck to be behind at the end of the game.

Whatever is cheapest while still remaining a functional bearer protocol
wins, in other words.

And, in my book, "functional" means "functionally anonymous". It's just
cheaper that way. Having a plane that actually flies is way cheaper than
one which just goes fast down the runway, or even one which scoots along
nicely off the ground, but only in ground effect.

Cheers,
Bob Hettinga

Robert A. Hettinga <mailto: rah@philodox.com>
Philodox Financial Technology Evangelism <http://www.philodox.com/>
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA