1998-12-03 - Check out the New ZDNet and ZDTV Forums!

Header Data

From: “ZDNet Announce” <announce@zdnet.zdlists.com>
To: “ZDNet” <zdnet1@MAIL.ZDLISTS.COM>
Message Hash: 0ffc745474aaad8cc2e2ea8878fe81198640fe18adc1bdde879646a1e5770400
Message ID: <199812030315.WAA22510@america.interstep.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 20:30:49 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: "ZDNet Announce" <announce@zdnet.zdlists.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 20:30:49 -0800 (PST)
To: "ZDNet" <zdnet1@MAIL.ZDLISTS.COM>
Subject: Check out the New ZDNet and ZDTV Forums!

Dear Forum Member:

If you are reading this message, you are a participant in the ZDNet
or ZDTV message boards (a.k.a. ZDNet Forums or Community). I would
like to take this opportunity to tell you about some changes that
will affect you on December 8.

We are moving from our current forum software, called Podium, to
version 1.0 of new forum software created by Deja News. On Dec. 8,
when you follow a link or bookmark to one of our forums, you will be
directed to the new software automatically. You don't have to download
or install anything -- our forums remain entirely Web-based -- but the
apearance and functions of the forums will be different. All your
messages posted in Podium are being brought over, so your conversations
won't miss a beat.

We have been testing the Deja News software in three of our current
forums for several months, and we have also created a test forum so
you can try out the software and give us your feedback.  We know that
any change is disruptive; you will have to re-learn some forum
functions and get used to a new interface. We apologize in advance for
the hassle. We felt the switch to the Deja News software was the only
way to improve the  performance and reliability of the forums, plus
the new software has a better search engine and great possibilities
for integrating Usenet newsgroups into our offerings.

If you have not yet had a chance to try out the new software, you can
do so at any one or all of the forums listed below:

Test Forum
http://chkpt.zdnet.com/chkpt/zdn11202/f5.dejanews.com/frames/test.html

Help Channel General Discussion
http://chkpt.zdnet.com/chkpt/zdn11202/f5.dejanews.com/frames/generaldiscussion.html

Microsoft Office
http://chkpt.zdnet.com/chkpt/zdn11202/f5.dejanews.com/frames/msoffice.html

Gadget Gab
http://chkpt.zdnet.com/chkpt/zdn11202/f5.dejanews.com/frames/gadget.html

Please give us your feedback about the new software in the Test
Forum.  We are using your comments to make the software work better,
so we appreciate as much of participation as possible.

In addition to the new software, we will be merging several forums.
Over the months, ZDNet and ZDTV have created a number of overlapping
message boards, and some forums have lost their appeal to users. As
part of the switch to Deja News, we'll be integrating forums on