1998-12-09 - Re:

Header Data

From: “Joel O’Connor” <ogrenivek@yahoo.com>
To: Anonymous <nobody@replay.com>
Message Hash: 42868af91bc605f4032fbdf166b6cea31e23f037a92e5d98a88722eb391ca1fe
Message ID: <19981209152621.2358.rocketmail@send1e.yahoomail.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 01:13:52 +0800

Raw message

From: "Joel O'Connor" <ogrenivek@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 01:13:52 +0800
To: Anonymous <nobody@replay.com>
Subject: Re:

They say education is power abd naybe they were correct.  I agree with
the fact that more people need to use encryption, the problem (as you
stated) is that people do not understand how to use it, or even know
it exists.  Unfortunate for us, fortunate for big brother.  While the
only way we can counteract this debate is through empowerment, the
question remains, how do you spread the word to up to a million
people, enough to get their interest and keep it, enough to take the
time to teach them how to use the tools.  I work for an IT department
and the users I train rank from intelligent to "where the hell did you
come from?!"  Teaching people who have no want or need is the hardest
part, just ask Christians, they know what it's like.  Our greatest
problems lie within our inability to train and make use of what lies
in front of us, if people don't see the need, then why would they?
  Another point, some people feel that if they have nothing to hide,
then why use it.  An acquaitance of mine has the same stubborn
attitude, what steps do you take to thwart that?  That excuse bothers
me beyond belief, but it is a common thought that if you need to take
the steps to hide something, then it must be wrong.  God help us. . .

---Anonymous <nobody@replay.com> wrote:

> I think setting up mirror sites of crypto archives
> across the world is a great idea.  However, I also
> think we need to focus on getting more and more
> people to use crypto.  I would guess that the vast
> majority of computer users worldwide see no use
> for encryption in their day-to-day lives -- and
> even those that do don't also use it.
>
> If everybody in the world is using encryption, it
> is going to be extremely difficult for "democratic"
> governments to tell them they can't use it any more.
>
> Unfortunately, it's easy for governments to blame
> crypto for terrorism and a host of other crimes,
> simply because the average citizen doesn't understand
> the concept of an "electronic envelope".

==
Ogre bounces like sonar. . .Peace.
                  Ogre