1998-12-08 - Re: Building crypto archives worldwide to foil US-built Berlin Walls

Header Data

From: Mok-Kong Shen <mok-kong.shen@stud.uni-muenchen.de>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 57fab1bb37ee815ecf91744f59a087480c7996619272cdbdc41f8902ebebb3a1
Message ID: <366D134F.54FFCEA4@stud.uni-muenchen.de>
Reply To: <3.0.32.19691231160000.006fd6e8@shell15.ba.best.com>
UTC Datetime: 1998-12-08 12:38:01 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1998 20:38:01 +0800

Raw message

From: Mok-Kong Shen <mok-kong.shen@stud.uni-muenchen.de>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1998 20:38:01 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: Building crypto archives worldwide to foil US-built Berlin  Walls

Tim Griffiths wrote:

> However I 'export' PGP from the US, I'm exporting it, even if I have a
> web site for each bit, 0 or 1 being determined by whether Clinton has
> a cigar or not in a posted picture.

Hence the best way, once there are strict export regulations, is not
to export. One moves rather knowledge (thought) across the country
boundaries and there build locally the desired software. That's why
I believe it will be increasingly more essential for the future to
have good crypto algorithms that are very simple to describe and
implement. Whether these are very fast is at most of secondary
importance. For really very critical applications seldom involve
huge volumes and even if they do the computing cost hardly matters
and one can employ multiple hardware to achieve the required
rate of transmission.

M. K. Shen

M. K. Shen, Postfach 340238, D-80099 Muenchen, Germany
+49 (89) 831939   (6:00 GMT)
mok-kong.shen@stud.uni-muenchen.de
http://www.stud.uni-muenchen.de/~mok-kong.shen/     (Last updated:
10th October 1998.  Origin site of WEAK1, WEAK2, WEAK3 and WEAK3-E.
Containing 2 mathematical problems with rewards totalling US$500.)

Thread