1998-12-23 - Re: Jury Duty

Header Data

From: Anonymous <nobody@replay.com>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 9197082fb89f899cb975f57c4a0e529694ce7222e41f27eb2859a0561b24a5e4
Message ID: <199812231944.UAA07759@replay.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1998 04:07:42 +0800

Raw message

From: Anonymous <nobody@replay.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1998 04:07:42 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: Jury Duty

On Wed, 23 Dec 1998, Anonymous wrote:

> In 22 years of being qualified, I am facing my first jury duty summons as a regular employee and see no way out except to report. The old self-employment, financial burden exemption no longer applies.
>
> Is there a good web site where I can find other legal means to recuse myself (I live in AZ), or if I do
> decide to report and get on a trial, a web site on my rights to vote my conscious, aka jury nullification?

Tell them the following:

"I am aware of the doctrine of jury nullification and I will inform my
 fellow jurors of it.  I will invoke it in cases where the defendant
 has been charged with a victimless crime, i.e. drug-related offenses,
 statutory rape, or other thoughtcrime, or when the law is otherwise
 unjust or unreasonable."

The prosecutor won't touch you with a 10 foot pole.

Thread