1998-12-22 - Re: MCI hit with encryption virus [CNN] (fwd)

Header Data

From: Ian Moya <moya@navigo.com>
To: cypherpunks@EINSTEIN.ssz.com
Message Hash: 92f2435848e38ddec2ae6e8c065e875861a7b40118817b38c518203fba403cfa
Message ID: <199812221943.NAA08478@www.navigo.com>
Reply To: <199812221332.HAA06736@einstein.ssz.com>
UTC Datetime: 1998-12-22 19:06:07 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 03:06:07 +0800

Raw message

From: Ian Moya <moya@navigo.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 03:06:07 +0800
To: cypherpunks@EINSTEIN.ssz.com
Subject: Re: MCI hit with encryption virus [CNN] (fwd)

Anyone else find it interesting that the release for this outside of NAI press release was at CNN/fn and not CNN's tech section?  The stock shot up 6 and 3/8 on the
news.  Pretty nice Christmas bonus to say the least.

Couple other more timely and detailed notes on the event:

http://www.ilhawaii.net/webnews/wed/aq/Nd55_38.html
http://www.ilhawaii.net/webnews/wed/dm/Nd55_51.html

Also a local TV station (Austin) on the 5pm news last night had some official
working on this fiasco quoted as saying that this was the first large case of
"cyberterrorism" that he had encountered.  I hope the national media doesn't
start goose stepping to that account things; otherwise, expect this and related
events to be cited by CIAO and other gubment offices in their initiatives next year
to round up network incident response teams nationally and globally.

http://www.ciao.gov/
http://www.pccip.gov/

moya

--