1998-12-08 - Re: Export of PGP Illegal in Denmark. Threatened w. jail (fwd)

Header Data

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 9e3ef2758dc2edab8e0cd9792b07b79aa024ef54fb6fdea33f9291025ba83e0e
Message ID: <199812081533.KAA12990@mail1.panix.com>
Reply To: <v04020a2cb291de81a209@[139.167.130.248]>
UTC Datetime: 1998-12-08 16:33:00 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 00:33:00 +0800

Raw message

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 00:33:00 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: Export of PGP Illegal in Denmark. Threatened w. jail (fwd)

>Hi
>This is a true story. Denmark now - along with the whole EU - has
>assimilated US-crypto laws.
>I just had a phone conversation with the danish ministry of commerce,
>the export control division. The kind lady I spoke to threatened me with
>fines or jail for up to two years.
>
>For having PGP for free download on my homepage!
>
>I called the division to hear about the Wassenaar arrangement on
>export-restrictions on strong crypto and its consequences. So I ask this
>lady something like: I have this strong crypto program called PGP on my
>homepage. What should I do. Does this Wassenaar arrangement concern me?
>	'It sure does', she replies, and start to ask a lot of questions about
>my homepage - does it have unlimited global access etc. And then she
>says: 'You better take it down', and starts to reiterate the legal
>aspects, e.g. two laws from EU on export restrictions.
>	Specifically she points out the penal code: Fines. Jail.
>	So...

What you say in this case is "The Wassenaar arrangement was changed in
secret a few days ago.  It is merely advisory.  Has the efficient Denmark
bureaucracy had time to change the laws and regs since then or are you just
blowing hot air?"

DCF

Thread