1998-12-23 - Re: Question about ‘TEMPEST’

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Message Hash: a16f76c9e70c0f2f258d60fac92ca5f622f6a526055436b398bf33e327989d44
Message ID: <v03130301b2a61729f15c@[209.66.100.72]>
Reply To: <36806A08.E9E3BEC1@citrus.infi.net>
UTC Datetime: 1998-12-23 04:04:11 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 12:04:11 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 12:04:11 +0800
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Subject: Re: Question about 'TEMPEST'

At 7:56 PM -0800 12/22/98, Tiny wrote:

>I`m sorry to ask such a stupid question.  Is 'TEMPEST' an acronym, and
>if so, what
>exactly does it represent?

It was not originated as an acronym, though some have labored to find the
words to make it one, sort of. Best to treat it as not being an acronym.

It's a set of specs and testing methods for measuring and controlling RF
emissions by computers and other electronic equipment. Shielding with metal
enclosures, with filters on inputs and outputs, and so on.

The full TEMPEST specs are more or less classified, as might be expected.
(Because one does not lightly tell one's enemies what one is measuring for.)

Contrary to popular rumor, it is not "illegal" to shield computers, to "use
TEMPEST methods," as it were.

--Tim May

We would go to their homes, and we'd kill their wives and
their children. We would kill their families