1998-12-09 - Re: Building crypto archives worldwide to foil US-built Berlin Walls (fwd)

Header Data

From: Mok-Kong Shen <mok-kong.shen@stud.uni-muenchen.de>
To: Jim Choate <ravage@EINSTEIN.ssz.com>
Message Hash: bde8d245487da749bc2d40426ef5ff8482099b27ab45ef781112109f5007b8d3
Message ID: <366E7428.D8A8BDB5@stud.uni-muenchen.de>
Reply To: <199812082032.OAA13166@einstein.ssz.com>
UTC Datetime: 1998-12-09 13:25:45 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 21:25:45 +0800

Raw message

From: Mok-Kong Shen <mok-kong.shen@stud.uni-muenchen.de>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 21:25:45 +0800
To: Jim Choate <ravage@EINSTEIN.ssz.com>
Subject: Re: Building crypto archives worldwide to foil US-built Berlin Walls (fwd)

Jim Choate wrote:

> I suspect that with their reversal concerning anonymous numbered accounts
> and other similar changes in their laws and their enforcement that none of
> the fully developed countries in N. America, W. Europe, Pacific Rim would
> be good candidates for this sort of shenanigan without some legal backing
> from the get go. That leaves S. America, Africa, E. Europe, Middle East,
> India, and China. Not a lot of hope there. If it's not political issues,
> it's no economies, no modern infrastructure, religious, etc.

I don't see why you have to pose such severe selection criteria.
As long as a number of countries don't yet have export regulations,
one can have a number of archive sites in each one of these
countries, in so far as the financial problem is solved. We aren't
choosing a single central archive that should be up for eternity.
If the 'economies', 'infrastructure' 'religon' and what not of the
countries do not (yet) affect crypto laws, why care about them? If
at a later point of time some of these countries do have crypto laws,
well, simply close down the archive there and let the sites in the
remaining countries take over the downloading demands of the
closed down sites. Isn't that simple?

Much more important is to discuss how to solve the finacial problem
of setting up such archives, to have people maintaining them,
the technical problem of storage and the general policy of storage,
I believe.

M. K. Shen

Thread