1998-12-22 - RE: politically correct bomb graffiti

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: c1852f2619fbc5b1751131ba6f4c9d7b90f4c95de63bd4f3053db66b5606a70c
Message ID: <v03130305b2a5a712f8b3@[209.66.100.92]>
Reply To: <367FEC2E.DC94D311@acm.org>
UTC Datetime: 1998-12-22 20:14:01 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 04:14:01 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 04:14:01 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: RE: politically correct bomb graffiti

At 10:59 AM -0800 12/22/98, Jim Gillogly wrote:
>~> WASHINGTON (AP) -- Defense Department officials said Monday they were
>~> distressed about ``thoughtless graffiti'' referring to the Islamic holy
>~> month of Ramadan on a Navy bomb being prepared for dropping on Iraq.
>
>xasper8d writes:
>> What's the 90's PC war cry?  Go ahead and nuke 'em, just don't be
>> insensitive about it.
>
>While I also would be more offended by someone bombing me into a
>thin film of viscera and connective tissue than by having them
>ridicule my beliefs, I think the Pentagon was more concerned about
>the effect on our allies in the Gulf.  The recent bombing was an
>attack against the Iraqi military and leadership rather than on
>Islam, and having that graffito get big airplay could offend other
>countries that we'd prefer not to offend.  So while they looked
>silly complaining about the Ramadan reference, they'd have looked
>worse if they'd passed it off with a shrug and/or another ethnic
>or religious slur.

We bombed during "Bombadan" to send the ragheads a message. I thought this
was obvious to all.

--Tim May

We would go to their homes, and we'd kill their wives and
their children. We would kill their families