1998-12-12 - Re: German government press release on Wassenaar (fwd)

Header Data

From: “Albert P. Franco, II” <apf2@apf2.com>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: c868713a163814eda26749f86672ba4e6bb205969cbd4f642aa3796021c837f6
Message ID: <3.0.3.32.19981212153310.006dc6bc@209.204.247.83>
Raw Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 23:21:13 +0800

Raw message

From: "Albert P. Franco, II" <apf2@apf2.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 23:21:13 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: German government press release on Wassenaar (fwd)

I think the key idea which allows Open Source to be exempted is based on
the availability to all eyes of the technology--not the legal rights
attached to the software.

The fact that the knowledge contained in Open Source software is available
to all is the key. The legal right to use that knowledge is not quite the
issue. If the knowledge in the software becomes "common knowledge" then
defining its (illegal) export becomes extremely difficult.

>From this point of view, I agree with the author of the original
statement--this could be a very important boost for Open Source crypto.

APF

Thread