1998-12-05 - Re: FC: So far, I think Mr. Aarons’ Wassenaar statement is disinformation

Header Data

From: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: da523bedb2bf9b363577660816b60e9b26d7045e5d6e390ceafcff3c380267ea
Message ID: <v04020a4db28e215d5a28@[139.167.130.246]>
Raw Date: Sat, 5 Dec 1998 08:14:11 +0800

Raw message

From: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 1998 08:14:11 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: FC: So far, I think Mr. Aarons' Wassenaar statement is  disinformation

--- begin forwarded text

Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 18:19:58 -0500 (EST)
From: Peter F Cassidy <pcassidy@world.std.com>
To: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
Cc: dcsb@ai.mit.edu
Subject: Re: FC: So far, I think Mr. Aarons' Wassenaar statement is
disinformation
Sender: bounce-dcsb@ai.mit.edu

Friends,

In e-mail exchanges with EC ministers and government ministers in W.
European nations that I have had about Aarons one thing is consistent. All
seemed to be shocked and dismayed at his ability to report out facts to
the press in the US and to the Clinton Administration that have little to
do with actual events. It would not surprise any of them if Aarons'
unilaterally declared a 33 nation crypto-control agreement that was based
entirely on his baroque misunderstanding of the facts.

PFC

On Fri, 4 Dec 1998, Robert Hettinga wrote:

> --- begin forwarded text

> Date: Fri, 04 Dec 1998 15:29:29 -0500
> To: politech@vorlon.mit.edu
> From: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
> Subject: FC: So far, I think Mr. Aarons' Wassenaar statement is
>   disinformation
> Sender: owner-politech@vorlon.mit.edu
>
> [John is basing his analysis below on what's been posted on the Wassenaar
> site so far, and these kinds of documents aren't always put online
> immediately. That said, if Ambassador Aaron is talking about the online
> documents and John's analysis is correct, the Clinton administration is
> going beyond mere spin: it is trying to deliberately deceive. --Declan]
>
> *********
>
> Subject: So far, I think Mr. Aarons' Wassenaar statement is disinformation
>
> Date: Fri, 04 Dec 1998 10:55:00 -0800
> From: John Gilmore <gnu@toad.com>
>
> I have not found a single confirmation of the Aarons statement that
> the 33 Wassenaar countries have agreed to change the exemption for
> mass market crypto software.  (The NY Times and Reuters stories both
> quote Ambassador Aarons.)
>
> This lack of confirmation includes the Wassenaar Arrangement statement
> itself, which merely says:
>
> 	The amendments to the lists included elimination of coverage of
> 	commonly available civil telecommunications equipment as well
> 	as the modernisation of encryption controls to keep pace with
> 	developing technology and electronic commerce, while also being
> 	mindful of security interests.
>
> 	http://www.wassenaar.org/docs/press_4.html
>
> The Wassenaar Arrangement works by consensus; any member can block the
> adoption of any item merely by voting against it.  The policy Aarons
> announced is directly contradictory to the recently reaffirmed
> government policies of Finland and Ireland.  In addition, Canada and
> Germany have recently stated strong pro-crypto positions (while
> waffling on the particular issue of the treatment of PD and MM
> software).
>
> The Wassenaar Arrangement also states:
>
> 	This arrangement will not be directed against
> 	any state or group of states and will not impede
> 	bona fide civil transactions.
>
> To the extent that there is any attempt in the Agreement to control
> mass market or public domain crypto software, such a provision
> would clearly contradict this limitation written into the Arrangement.
> The Arrangement is for military goods -- not for civilian goods.
> PGP and other civilian crypto tools are not military by any stretch
> of the imagination.  It's hard to imagine that all 33 countries would
> ignore this obvious problem, especially when it was pointed out to them
> by concerted lobbying over the last several months.
>
> I also note that none of the statements are clear about exactly what
> is affected.  PGP, SSH, SSLEAY, Linux IPSEC, and many other crypto
> tools are "public domain" rather than "mass market" software.  The
> General Software Note (originally from COCOM, and adopted bodily by
> [...]

"dcsb-request@ai.mit.edu" with one line of text: "help".

--- end forwarded text

Robert A. Hettinga <mailto: rah@philodox.com>
Philodox Financial Technology Evangelism <http://www.philodox.com/>
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA