1998-12-30 - National Know Your Bank Day

Header Data

From: Jim Burnes - Denver <jim.burnes@ssds.com>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: e9809dddd1260cfd0bed760db38701013591b3c05404d1d390650934dc7318a3
Message ID: <Pine.SOL.3.91.981230114949.19614B-100000@denver>
Raw Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 03:20:38 +0800

Raw message

From: Jim Burnes - Denver <jim.burnes@ssds.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 03:20:38 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: National Know Your Bank Day

In the interest of National Know Your Bank Day, for what its worth,
I'd like to address the issue of perpetual public debt that the
Federal Reserve System and our esteemed Congress has foisted on us.

Here is a wonderful and powerful quote from Mr Jefferson.

"To preserve [the] independence [of the people,] we must not let our
rulers load us with perpetual debt. We must make our election between
economy and liberty, or profusion and servitude. If we run into such debts
as that we must be taxed in our meat and in our drink, in our necessaries
and our comforts, in our labors and our amusements, for our callings and
our creeds, as the people of England are, our people, like them, must come
to labor sixteen hours in the twenty-four, give the earnings of fifteen of
these to the government for their debts and daily expenses, and the
sixteenth being insufficient to afford us bread, we must live, as they now
do, on oatmeal and potatoes, have no time to think, no means of calling
the mismanagers to account, but be glad to obtain subsistence by hiring
ourselves to rivet their chains on the necks of our fellow-sufferers."
--Thomas Jefferson to Samuel Kercheval, 1816. ME 15:39

Thread