1993-10-02 - Re: PGP in FIDO

Header Data

From: bobi@vswr.sps.mot.com (Bob Izenberg)
To: pmetzger@lehman.com
Message Hash: 466fc41fec8381a2fbd4fb2f44d252306460d981f49fc30f1193a7d423964179
Message ID: <9310022150.AA12197@vswr.sps.mot.com>
Reply To: <9310022113.AA19467@snark.lehman.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-10-02 21:58:50 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 2 Oct 93 14:58:50 PDT

Raw message

From: bobi@vswr.sps.mot.com (Bob Izenberg)
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 93 14:58:50 PDT
To: pmetzger@lehman.com
Subject: Re: PGP in FIDO

Perry E. Metzger wrote:

# Mike Godwin will have to confirm this, but to my knowledge Common
# Carrier is NOT a status you have to apply for. UUNET operates as a
# common carrier and has never registered with anyone.

Well, we won't really know until the legal beagles deliver their opinions
(and perhaps not even then, if they disagree.)  What I wonder is, what does
the phrase "operates as a common carrier" mean?  Who has to grant you that
status before it has any meaning as a legal protection?

Bob
   Bob Izenberg                                     voice phone: 512-891-8680
   Motorola RISC Software                               bobi@vswr.sps.mot.com