1992-10-13 - Mail headers

Header Data

From: Eric Hughes <hughes@soda.berkeley.edu>
To: CYPHERPUNKS@TOAD.COM
Message Hash: fd8673bdc1ee18f17aa79922a2e2a46b093d0152017946f6c015599da76f42d6
Message ID: <9210131622.AA25597@soda.berkeley.edu>
Reply To: <9210131201.AA12086@domingo.teracons.com>
UTC Datetime: 1992-10-13 16:15:29 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 13 Oct 92 09:15:29 PDT

Raw message

From: Eric Hughes <hughes@soda.berkeley.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 92 09:15:29 PDT
To: CYPHERPUNKS@TOAD.COM
Subject: Mail headers

Hugh's comments brought up a idea to me.

RFC 822 is the standard for the format of Internet mail messages.
Anybody interested in the remailer should eventually read this thing.

In it there is already a standard header field "Encrypted."  It
accepts two optional arguments, a decryption type and an identifier
(say, for key lookup).  So we have a way of automatically telling
encrypted message without doing pattern recognition on the body.

I propose a couple more header fields.  "Digest" for signed message
digests.  "Key-Mgmt" for the distribution of new keys and key
compromise certificates, i.e. for automatic key distribution.

What else do we need to make a fairly automated crypto mail system?

Eric

Thread