1992-11-16 - The legality of PGP

Header Data

From: pmetzger@shearson.com (Perry E. Metzger)
To: shawnb@ecst.csuchico.edu
Message Hash: 0c6e97ad0673cd1ba0d3b5a02321304c5329331395e08c934d196d334af4f525
Message ID: <9211161902.AA08397@newsu.shearson.com>
Reply To: <9211140007.AA19365@toad.com>
UTC Datetime: 1992-11-16 19:26:52 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 16 Nov 92 11:26:52 PST

Raw message

From: pmetzger@shearson.com (Perry E. Metzger)
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 92 11:26:52 PST
To: shawnb@ecst.csuchico.edu
Subject: The legality of PGP

>From: S.E. Brown <shawnb@ecst.csuchico.edu>

>Well,

>I've been reading a lot of speculation and outright disinformation about
>the legality of PGP.  Does anyone have any informed information about the
>actual legal status us sing and disseminating the program?

PGP is based on RSA cryptography, which is patented. The patent is
controlled by Public Key Partners, which has not granted a license for
people to use PGP. Therefore, using PGP is possibly a patent
violation, although thus far no action seems to have been taken by PKP
in this respect.

Perry

Thread