1993-01-11 - Re: Politics of Remailers

Header Data

From: nowhere@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Chael Hall)
To: crys@eith.biostr.washington.edu (Crys Rides)
Message Hash: 5b57313c3f854cf1b87a5ff86c43e152cd2f5e60d06122b144731c2fc38553bf
Message ID: <9301110419.AA14032@bsu-cs.bsu.edu>
Reply To: <9301110143.AA15332@ucunix.san.uc.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1993-01-11 04:22:10 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 10 Jan 93 20:22:10 PST

Raw message

From: nowhere@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Chael Hall)
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 93 20:22:10 PST
To: crys@eith.biostr.washington.edu (Crys Rides)
Subject: Re: Politics of Remailers

>Evidently I mis-interpreted his exact meaning in his statement, but if I
>remember correctly, wasn't one of the original mail messages along this line
>stating that any mail system which included a signature or identification
>automatically was broken?  The point being is this is a common example
>of how this is used, and that if an anonymous poster comes from such a site,
>his sig would close the search area greatly if not removed.  So this
>appears to me to be a good point in favor of signature stripping.
>
>CrysRides

     True, it will make tracing the mail extremely simple if nothing is
done to strip the signature out.  Where I disagree is where Hal appears to
disagree--it is too simple to accidentally cut off the rest of your message
by putting a line starting with "--" in your message.  I think a "kill line"
would be best.  Anything after that line is ignored.

Chael

--
Chael Hall
nowhere@bsu-cs.bsu.edu, 00CCHALL@LEO.BSUVC.BSU.EDU, CHALL@CLSV.Charon.BSU.Edu