1993-03-04 - Re: You Aren’t [I’m Not]

Header Data

From: Theodore Ts’o <tytso@Athena.MIT.EDU>
To: Peter Honeyman <honey@citi.umich.edu>
Message Hash: 68df56e536907f1d0d3bd6e426e876f088cf401ae054eef1d44fdbc637337b72
Message ID: <9303041354.AA25816@SOS>
Reply To: <9303040224.AA01178@toad.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-03-04 13:56:13 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 4 Mar 93 05:56:13 PST

Raw message

From: Theodore Ts'o <tytso@Athena.MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 93 05:56:13 PST
To: Peter Honeyman <honey@citi.umich.edu>
Subject: Re: You Aren't [I'm Not]

   From: Peter Honeyman <honey@citi.umich.edu>
   Date: Wed, 3 Mar 93 21:22:27 EST

						     ... I don't believe in
       prior restraint; but I do believe in personal responsibility ...

       ... in this model, how can you provide personal responsibility?

   ted, when you say you favor personal responsibility, do you mean
   "i am in favor of people acting responsibly," which i take to be the
   sense of the first quote, or do you mean "i want there to be a way to
   hold people responsible for their actions," which i take to be the
   meaning of the second?

Yes, I mean the second interpretation; what generally tends to happen is
that without the second, generally the first deteriorates over time.
And "holding somone responsible for their actions" doesn't necessarilly
mean throwing someone in jail, or sueing them for lots of money --- it
can be as simple as their knowing that what they say can be traced back
to them, and their own personal credibility is on the line.  (As opposed
to some pseudonym's credibility, which can always be discarded and a new
one requested.)

						- Ted

Thread