1993-05-12 - Re: CALLER ID?

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <pmetzger@lehman.com>
To: karn@qualcomm.com (Phil Karn)
Message Hash: fc893de95f78da27a12d97534ead23cb00fb4835102fbfb36a04be06134aef68
Message ID: <9305122308.AA00601@snark.shearson.com>
Reply To: <9305122249.AA00229@servo>
UTC Datetime: 1993-05-12 23:08:32 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 12 May 93 16:08:32 PDT

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <pmetzger@lehman.com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 93 16:08:32 PDT
To: karn@qualcomm.com (Phil Karn)
Subject: Re: CALLER ID?

Phil Karn says:
> Interesting. As expected, when I called 1-800-235-1414 from a PBX
> extension here at work, it read back the trunk number, not my actual
> extension number.  The same for a developmental CDMA digital
> cellphone, since we use PBX-style trunks from our switch.
>
> But when I called it from a conventional AMPS (FM) cell phone using
> Pac Tel Cellular, I also got a number that was different than my
> mobile's real number. And when I called it back, I got a
> number-not-valid intercept.
>
> Interesting. Apparently one real cellular switch also looks like a PBX
> as far as ANI goes.  I wonder how widespread this is. Anybody with a
> cell phone on a service other than Pac Bell who is willing to give it
> a try?

I have an even stranger datum to report -- when called from the ISDN
PBX here, ANI gets not just the building trunks but *MY* phone number.
Yes, it got the extension right, on the other side of the PBX. Hmmm...

.pm

Thread