1993-06-05 - Re: Software infrastructure

Header Data

From: J. Michael Diehl <mdiehl@triton.unm.edu>
To: anton@hydra.unm.edu (Stanton McCandlish)
Message Hash: 8b42f377921a6c5466b792384578828e17df9c1a56706d5a7bfaab1372957d77
Message ID: <9306050109.AA12890@triton.unm.edu>
Reply To: <9306041032.AA14588@hydra.unm.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1993-06-05 01:09:16 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 4 Jun 93 18:09:16 PDT

Raw message

From: J. Michael Diehl <mdiehl@triton.unm.edu>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 93 18:09:16 PDT
To: anton@hydra.unm.edu (Stanton McCandlish)
Subject: Re: Software infrastructure

According to Stanton McCandlish:

> As for "is kermit good enough?"  No.  Almost NO ONE in the DOS world uses
> it any more, it is a total anachronism.  Of all the 400 or so users on my
> board, many from other parts of the country, even other countries, not
> ONE uses kermit (I have "What comm program do you use?" as one of the
> initial login questions).  The only practical use of Kermit is for
> computer newbies to use it to access the dialup lines at their school
> (UNM gives out free copies of it), but most such people soon switch to
> another program.

Correction, many people on this list use kermit...  And of course, I should
know! ;^)

I do suggest that people get a (better) different comm program, as kermit is
IMHO rather limited.

> Thing is Kermit is just plain old, and a pain in the butt.  When I
> started BBSing, the Kermit protocol was supported on most BBSs; today I
> cannot think of a single BBS around here that has it anymore (I'm the
> defacto city BBSlist maker, so I'd know :)

True on all points. ;^)

> Perhaps this area is atypical, and Kermit is all the rage elsewhere, but
> considering how BEHIND the times Albuquerque is, I tend to doubt it.

Behind the times?  Hell, we just got Caller-ID.  Yipee!

> Freeware and shareware comm programs available from any BBS or FTP site
> will DUST Kermit, and I think it's a dead end.  All I can say, is any
> crypto package based on a hack of Kermit will go nowhere.  I know it's
> free and readily available, but well so's a kick in the ass.  >;)

Agreed.

| J. Michael Diehl ;-)  | I thought I was wrong once. | PGP KEY |
| mdiehl@triton.unm.edu |   But, I was mistaken.      |available|
| mike.diehl@fido.org   |                             | Ask Me! |
+------"I'm just looking for the opportunity to be -------------+
|            Politically Incorrect!"   <Me>                     |
+-----If codes are outlawed, only criminals wil have codes.-----+
+----Is Big Brother in your phone?  If you don't know, ask me---+

Thread