1993-06-08 - Re: CERT: the letter from CERT to berkeley.edu admin

Header Data

From: Marc Horowitz <marc@GZA.COM>
To: peter honeyman <honey@citi.umich.edu>
Message Hash: c184c219901549766e4e6a854baeac44a27d7c87171171603f1db7150b29220a
Message ID: <9306082054.AA14005@dun-dun-noodles.aktis.com>
Reply To: <9306082034.AA26060@toad.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-06-08 20:54:48 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 8 Jun 93 13:54:48 PDT

Raw message

From: Marc Horowitz <marc@GZA.COM>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 93 13:54:48 PDT
To: peter honeyman <honey@citi.umich.edu>
Subject: Re: CERT: the letter from CERT to berkeley.edu admin

>> perhaps cert is being used as a weapon, as marc suggested.  that
>> is the most benign interpretation i can think of.  so i ask you
>> again:  don't you think cert might be jeopardizing its effectiveness
>> through these actions?

"Do not attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by
stupidity."  Without support, I think CERT is merely being stupid.
Someone else (maybe even a government employee) is being malicious.  I
do think cert is harming their effectiveness by doing this.  My guess
is that they never stopped to think that someone might use them in
this way to shut down an "unpopular" ftp site.

		Marc

Thread