1993-07-15 - Re: The right to be secure (fwd Computerworld article)

Header Data

From: J. Michael Diehl <mdiehl@triton.unm.edu>
To: peb@procase.com (Paul Baclace)
Message Hash: 472a880299e114272d5f655f9b225182d1a75a8b5bc52c49b7dafa8f02b42744
Message ID: <9307152345.AA12039@triton.unm.edu>
Reply To: <9307151828.AA08970@banff.procase.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-07-15 23:45:39 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 15 Jul 93 16:45:39 PDT

Raw message

From: J. Michael Diehl <mdiehl@triton.unm.edu>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 93 16:45:39 PDT
To: peb@procase.com (Paul Baclace)
Subject: Re: The right to be secure (fwd Computerworld article)

According to Paul Baclace:
> >>   typically a court order, to both key escrow authorities.
> >"Typically", of course, means "not always", and it's coupled with the phrase
> I think they must be implicitly refering to the anti terrorist act
> which allows surveillence without a court order if national security
> is involved or if foreign nationals are involved, etc.

Now this is news to me.  You mean that they can listen to me if they can
rationalize that there is a threat to national security?

Here's a scenerio.  John Q. Public HAS a copy of pgp and some LEA knows it.  It
must be that he's some kind of subversive. Therefore, he is a threat to national
security.  It is therefore legal to infringe on his rights?  Maybe this is a bit
of exageration...maybe it's not....

| J. Michael Diehl ;-)  | I thought I was wrong once. | PGP KEY |
| mdiehl@triton.unm.edu |   But, I was mistaken.      |available|
| mike.diehl@fido.org   |                             | Ask Me! |
+------"I'm just looking for the opportunity to be -------------+
|            Politically Incorrect!"   <Me>                     |
+-----If codes are outlawed, only criminals wil have codes.-----+
+----Is Big Brother in your phone?  If you don't know, ask me---+

Thread