1993-08-06 - Re: Cypherpunks, keep your powder dry….

Header Data

From: khijol!erc@apple.com (Ed Carp)
To: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
Message Hash: 4730b8525398039bec72c34997183f1701936e233de4febd34d6e6dd22a916b5
Message ID: <m0oON0g-00023dC@khijol>
Reply To: <9308060729.AA14495@netcom5.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-08-06 08:28:40 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 6 Aug 93 01:28:40 PDT

Raw message

From: khijol!erc@apple.com (Ed Carp)
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 93 01:28:40 PDT
To: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
Subject: Re: Cypherpunks, keep your powder dry....

>      She also conclused that getting criminals to use the system
>      will be a problem.  As a solution, Denning suggests legislation
>      tlat places some constraints on the use of other products.  This
>      would force them to come up with their own solutions, costing them
>      time and money that they might not be willing to sacrifice, she
>      explains.m

Nonsense.  I can already see a market, either black, gray, or otherwise,
for non-Clipper/Skipjack devices.  In fact, I'd REALLY be surprised if
people haven't already come up with them on their own.  How hard could it
be to throw together an 80386-based embedded system, put PGP in ROM, add
a couple of A/D converters, and *presto* - instant privacy.  Add table
lookup (programmable from the phone pad, of course, based on the number
dialed) and you've got a pretty decent PEP (privacy-enhanced phone) :)
--
Ed Carp, N7EKG			erc@apple.com			510/659-9560
                            anon-2133@twwells.com

Thread