1993-08-30 - Re: Apple planning to use Clipper chip?

Header Data

From: Mike Rose <mrose@stsci.edu>
To: stig@netcom.com
Message Hash: 7bbe1ab0a0461979f1281e16a3a7884fbc25aa71e442fdb31ca5fd78862dca97
Message ID: <9308301237.AA17573@MARIAN.STSCI.EDU>
Reply To: <9308300206.AA20871@netcom3.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-08-30 12:43:42 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 30 Aug 93 05:43:42 PDT

Raw message

From: Mike Rose <mrose@stsci.edu>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 93 05:43:42 PDT
To: stig@netcom.com
Subject: Re: Apple planning to use Clipper chip?

On Sun, 29 Aug 1993 19:06:54 PDT, stig@netcom.com (Stig) said:

>> The fact that Apple is reviewing the "key escrow" proposals probably
>> implies other hardware makers are as well. This suggests a whole
>> behind-the-scenes movement to get Clipper/Skipjack/Capstone key escrow
>> chips designed into PCs, probably in the communications/modem/network
>> subsections.
>>

>It's quite fortunate, then, that the PC market is not monopolized as the
>Macintosh market is.

>    Stig

Darn, and just as I was thinking about a powerbook 180.
If Apple buys into key escrow, I'm not buying into Apple.

Mike

Thread