1993-08-30 - Re: The need for FREE cryptography …

Header Data

From: danodom@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Dan Odom)
To: strat@abc.ksu.ksu.edu (Steve Davis)
Message Hash: 95f0fc92060731b9ea2cb8b4e362f5e6035480acb27ce4d201c2ea5315f18e5e
Message ID: <9308302227.AA18470@matt.ksu.ksu.edu>
Reply To: <9308301100.AA13519@abc.ksu.ksu.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1993-08-30 22:33:50 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 30 Aug 93 15:33:50 PDT

Raw message

From: danodom@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Dan Odom)
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 93 15:33:50 PDT
To: strat@abc.ksu.ksu.edu (Steve Davis)
Subject: Re: The need for FREE cryptography ...

Steve Davis Said:

> There is still a void in the arena of free public encryption systems for
> regular human beings.  It would be wonderful if somebody would put a
> reasonably secure package (much like PGP) and copyleft the source.  PGP has
> never been a very useful tool to me as a programmer because of its internal
> structure.  What I'd need, if I wanted to integrate this technology into
> new platforms such as voice communication or an encrypted file system, is a
> library of tools for shuffling this data around and piping it through the
> "magic" algorithms.

RSAREF is available, but you can't use it in commercial products.
Also, it doesn't have many 'toys', although I can't really figure out
what 'toys' are needed...

If you don't need public-key algorithms (doesn't PKP claim patent
rights on _all_ public key systems?), IDEA may be used for
non-commercial purposes; IDEA is also fairly fast.

---> Dob

--
Dan Odom
danodom@matt.ksu.ksu.edu -- Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS