1993-08-12 - Spooking of neural nets and image recognition…

Header Data

From: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: cdbe44ef20716bb9df6ea0f78701d5cbed058062d781f3b60d4cf9a76b4c8263
Message ID: <9308122254.AA18262@netcom5.netcom.com>
Reply To: <9308122227.AA22138@tamsun.tamu.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1993-08-12 22:53:24 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 12 Aug 93 15:53:24 PDT

Raw message

From: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 93 15:53:24 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Spooking of neural nets and image recognition...

> Speaking of neural nets and image recognition, my former employers
> landed a contract with "various law enforcement agencies" although
> the project manager I spoke to said primarily the FBI and CIA - to
> develop neural network hardware and software to do face recognition,
> to be used to identify criminals at the airports.
>
> Indeed, I recall being photographed twice when I hired on - normal
> lighting for my regular id, and low lighting.  At the time, I
> wondered why but didn't think anything of it.  The project manager
> said they were amassing a database of pictures to use as training
> sets.

I think you mean "Spooking of neural nets and image recognition..."

This technology is supposedly being deployed at Customs offices and
especially at airports.

Long hair may come back, as I hear that the _ear_ is one of the main
identifying points...ears are fairly characteristic of individuals
(not as much as fingerprints, but enough for a rough sort) and
edge-tracing algorithms can be run quickly. So, keep those ears
covered!

Of course, only criminals fear such security monitoring. Remember, the
policement is your _friend_.

-Tim May