1993-09-30 - Re: fido encryption.

Header Data

From: khijol!erc (Ed Carp)
To: mdiehl@triton.unm.edu (J. Michael Diehl)
Message Hash: 6be86fa1a59a49c77d9560c1fb381d4dc40319e23b0b55d75d7927cedb3d7891
Message ID: <m0oiIHr-00022cC@khijol>
Reply To: <9309300633.AA27652@triton.unm.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1993-09-30 07:36:58 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 30 Sep 93 00:36:58 PDT

Raw message

From: khijol!erc (Ed Carp)
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 93 00:36:58 PDT
To: mdiehl@triton.unm.edu (J. Michael Diehl)
Subject: Re: fido encryption.

> 2)   They seem to be afraid to pass/store encrypted messages on their
> system.  This indicates to me a lack of understanding of the concept of
> privacy.  They seem to buy into the idea that "only BAD people encrypt
> email."

Most of them are scared to death over possible liability, like if someone
is selling credit card numbers and using their BBS to forward the messages,
they feel they could be legally liable.  There have been too many instances
of folks getting their computers confiscated over this sort of thing.

Personally, I feel like it's all a scam, cooked up by those in the DA's
office who are jealous because ours are bigger than theirs are.  ;)  A 486/50
with a couple of GB HD and a SVGA monitor and a couple of 1.4K modems is a
pretty hard thing to pass up if you're short on computing power in the DA's
office ... and short on $$$...  :(
--
Ed Carp, N7EKG			erc@apple.com			510/659-9560
                            anon-0001@khijol.uucp