1993-10-01 - Re: FIDONet Mail filtering - a course of action

Header Data

From: Mike Godwin <mnemonic@eff.org>
To: ld231782@longs.lance.colostate.edu (L. Detweiler)
Message Hash: acd1d1ceb75a33967070169c7e071b7dd6595178931d73fa92d30fe73daf432f
Message ID: <199310010434.AA16852@eff.org>
Reply To: <9310010341.AA15892@longs.lance.colostate.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1993-10-01 04:37:09 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 30 Sep 93 21:37:09 PDT

Raw message

From: Mike Godwin <mnemonic@eff.org>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 93 21:37:09 PDT
To: ld231782@longs.lance.colostate.edu (L. Detweiler)
Subject: Re: FIDONet Mail filtering - a course of action

Lance writes:

> As for what *we* can do, well, if premier cyberspatial laywer Mike
> Godwin considers himself a hardcore cypherpunk, I'd expect that a
> letter on EFF stationary would have a pretty significant effect.

This is a possibility, but perhaps we could do something subtler. I
suggest that someone forward my cypherpunk-list letters to this sysop
along with my phone number (202-347-5400) and let the guy know that he can
call me to discuss the possible legal liability he is creating for
himself.

Outside of the issue of passing encrypted information, it seems common
among Fido sysops to screen for other kinds of content. That can be
way uncool, legally.

--Mike

Thread