1993-11-12 - Re: Should we oppose the Data Superhighway/NII?

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <pmetzger@lehman.com>
To: gtoal@an-teallach.com (Graham Toal)
Message Hash: 19a3b6f157f262577c810f33cc34784069053e478bd92147138c9b324811f87b
Message ID: <9311121645.AA03366@snark.lehman.com>
Reply To: <753109212snz@an-teallach.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-11-12 16:49:32 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 12 Nov 93 08:49:32 PST

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <pmetzger@lehman.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 93 08:49:32 PST
To: gtoal@an-teallach.com (Graham Toal)
Subject: Re: Should we oppose the Data Superhighway/NII?

Graham Toal says:
> In article <9311111430.AA28017@snark.lehman.com> pmetzger@lehman.com writes:
> >A single fiber optic strand has enough capacity in theory to carry the
> >equivalent of every call made in the U.S. during the peak capacity
> >utilization period on Mother's Day. A single fiber can carry more data
> >than can be transmitted by the entire radio spectrum from low
> >frequency AM to Ku band satelite. Thats bandwidth for literally
> >thousands of simultaneous video signals.
>
> "All the world's comms needs can be met with a single fibre"
>
> contrast this with a famous quotation from history...
>
> "All the country's computing needs can be met with a single computer"

You didn't understand the point. Not a SINGLE fiber. Each person would
have their own fiber into a switched fabric the way everyone has their
own phone line into a switched fabric. Each person would have all that
capacity TO HIMSELF. If he needed more, he could get two, or even ten,
not that he'll need more than one.

Perry

Thread